Had PCOS. Pregnancy test came negative. What could be the reason of delayed periods?

Dr. Shanti Vennam

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 22 Nov 2013 in Pregnancy
Question: 1)HAD PCOS. Done laproscopic ovarian drilling on 29th july 2013. I got my period on 21 august 2013 and 21 sep 2013. This month i dint got period yet. Did pregnancy test yesterday, its negative.And got severe headache few times. I want to know what to know what can be the reason of delayed periods. 2)I went to my gynac today. She did vaginal scannnig.Utreus appears to be normal. Raptured egg fluid is there. I want to know still there chance of being pregnant. what can be seen in vaginal scan around 4 -5 weeks. my dr said in scan follicle is there. what does it mean cyst is there?
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Delayed period most likely due to hormonal error. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us. Here are your answers: 1. The most probable reason of your delayed period could be hormonal. Your headache could be an indicator of the hormone excess and an impending period. 2. Ruptured follicle with fluid means that ovulation has occurred. If conception has not taken place, you can expect a period about two weeks after the day of ovulation. If you wish to know for sure if you are pregnant right now, you should get a serum beta-hCG assay; this is more sensitive and specific than the urine test. 3. In a 4-5 weeks pregnancy, you can see the gestation sac. The yolk sac may be seen at the end of 5 weeks. 4. There is a difference between a follicle and a cyst. Please make sure from your doctor what exactly was seen. While the follicle is a normal finding, a cyst is an abnormal finding, though it may not cause any harm most of the times. When ovulation fails to occur, a follicular cyst develops. Small cysts usually regress spontaneously. Hope your query has been clarified. Please feel free to contact for further clarifications. I will be happy to help. regards, Shanti.V.
Follow up: Dr. Shanti Vennam 26 hours later
Thanks for replying... I m not sure i should wait for 45-50 days n again go to doc.(bcoz my cycle length is 31 days so ovulation may occur late n there will be change in 4-5 weeks calculation) or i should to take tablet to get periods. By how many days periods will get delayed due to anxiety.
Brief Answer: Exclude pregnancy before inducing a period. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing again. I did not quite understand your query. If you are doubtful about contacting your consultant after 45 days of seeing your cycle, I would say that you should go ahead with the blood test for pregnancy before seeing your doctor and repeat the sonogram. While a 31-day cycle falls within the normal limits, a couple of days delay in ovulation should not change the sonogram findings significantly; a repeat sonogram would obviously clarify issues. Please do not take any medication now to induce a period until you exclude pregnancy. Anxiety can either delay a menstrual cycle or bring it early; the amount of disturbance cannot be predicted by any medical means as it is constitutional. Hope your query is clarified. Please contact for any more information. I will be ready to help. regards, Shanti.V.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad