Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Had Fallopian tube removed. Had ablation due to heavy menstrual cycles. Suffer pain. Pain affecting bladder. Help?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1999
Answered : 1677 Questions
I had my right fallopian tube removed five years ago because of 17 cysts and had an ablation due to heavy menstrual cycles/pain. About 7 months after the surgery my 4 year old was playing around and jumped directly on my stomach while I was asleep. I went to the Dr. who said" It was like being in a car accident and would just take time to heal". Since that day at least twice a month I get a very sharp intense pain on my right side (lower abdomen). The pain is excruciating and I have been to the hospital, had tests, etc only to be sent back home in the same pain. During all these years I have not had a menstrual cycle, but have everything else(cramps, PMS, etc) This July 3 I started my period, it lasted about 3 hours. Yesterday I had menstrual cramps, started my period and it lasted about 4 hours. I am in intense pain and please don't laugh, but I have to use a tennis ball under a sort of back brace to put pressure on the spot that hurts. The spot never moves or changes. Other than yesterday when I had full blown(crying, screaming) menstrual cramps. The pain has lasted a week at a time in some cases. I don't know what to do, but one thing I do know is that I cannot take this much longer. No one seems to be able to help. Something is very wrong, sometimes the pain is so bad that I actually cannot believe that it hasn't killed me. I have actually passed out from it. I know it has something to do with the surgery and being jumped on, yet now I also know that it is affecting my bladder when the pain starts. Please help
Posted Sat, 5 Oct 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hello, I would be happy to help you!!

Detailed Answer:
It sounds to me like there might be two things going on:
1. The ablation is not working long term
2. There is pain at a specific location on the abdominal wall

I know that you feel that they are connected, and I agree. Let us address them separately, though.

First, it is not unusual for ablations to not work long term. It is not a bad alternative to hysterectomy, but in many cases, they will work for a while, and then slowly the cycles / pain / etc. returns. This can be related to the interval development of fibroids or other changes to the uterus.

Second, with regard to the specific abdominal pain. It was triggered by a blow to the abdomen, but related to the prior laparoscopy to remove your tube. It sounds to me like this might represent a problem related to a hernia at an incisional site OR related to adhesions.

I would recommend:
1. Talk to your doctor about an ultrasound or CT scan
2. Consider a laparoscopy and hysterectomy - at this time, the pain can be further assessed.

Does this help? Please let me know and we can work through it further!!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Had Fallopian tube removed. Had ablation due to heavy menstrual cycles. Suffer pain. Pain affecting bladder. Help? 44 minutes later
Thank you I understand about the ablation, but could you please explain further about a possible hernia(what it is) and/ or what type of adhesions(what they are) how do they start and why? I hope I asked that correctly. Also what type of specialist would be best to go to, I need to get this taken care of as soon as possible, the pain is unbearable. I have been "using" this tennis ball all day and its ridiculous, I also don't understand why it helps alittle but it does.
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 29 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are doing great

Detailed Answer:
A hernia is a defect in the abdominal wall within which bowel and fat can get trapped. Hernias are common around the diaphragm where the esophagus comes through, at the belly button, in the groin, and involving the pelvic floor with regard to the vagina. It also occurs at surgical sites, and specifically, at laparoscopic sites. The best Doctor to determine if this is the case is a General Surgeon.

The tennis ball is a way that you are able to "reduce" the hernia, or push whatever is stuck in the defect back into the belly. It really does fit and make sense based on what you are describing.

Finally, adhesion can occur with any type of surgery, and they are filmy bands of tissue that can trap abdominal contents in non-physiologic positions and cause pain.

I hope that this helps and I am sorry for the delay!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Had Fallopian tube removed. Had ablation due to heavy menstrual cycles. Suffer pain. Pain affecting bladder. Help? 3 hours later
I want to thank you so much for your help. I have been to see so many Doctors witthout getting any results. This is truly the best money I have ever spent. You explained more to me than you will ever know. My stomach is so swollen and painful that I promise you I will be calling a surgeon Monday. I am crying now, because if the Dr. that performed all of this had warned me about any of it, I would have sought a second or even a third opinion. I am scared, feel alone and angry. I should have been told the long term side affects. I thank you for bringing me up to date, everything you have told me is incredible ( not in a good way ha) If I had only known! If! THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS! I promise you that you will have a wonderful week, that is my word. Love Ivy
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thank you also

Detailed Answer:

If you have a hernia related to the surgery, it is extremely uncommon. My guess is that if your doctor had told you it was a 1% chance or less, that most patients would likely go through with the surgery regardless. It is always easier to look back and second-guess things. In general, though, I would recommend that you go ahead with your plan, but if the pain is severe before Monday, you should go in to an ER setting to get checked out. Also, given that your doctor dismissed your original complaint, I would seek a different OB/GYN or Primary Doctor.

Thank you and good luck!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor