Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Had Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Having pain and stiffness in back. Help?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1999
Answered : 547 Questions
Hello Doctor, I am a 63 year old woman, and have had Chronic Fatigue Syndrome for 24 years, and had to retire at 60 as I was unable to continue working. More recently I had a knee replacement at my local hospital due to arthritis. I have noticed that I am having more and more difficulties moving about without pain and stiffness in my back and generally all over. Some of my fingers have arthritis in them especially my thumbs. I have a very nice GP and she told me that the CFS is still active, but I feel this to be more to do with movement, CFS hurts but did not limit my movement. I don't want to keep bothering my GP, but I am worried about the pain and wonder if I am just going to seize up more and more. Can you help me as it is getting me down and unable to walk my dog as I used to.
Posted Mon, 10 Jun 2013 in Lupus
Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal 16 hours later
It seems like you are developing generalized osteo arthritis.
It affected your knee which is the reason that you had to get it replaced.
The same process is affecting your thumb at the base. This is a common site which is affected in osteo arthritis.
I would suggest you do gentle exercises of your thumb, do hot fomentation, apply pain relieving gels and can use medication like duloxetine which should help your CFS and osteo arthritis.
Apart from that paracetamol should give you relief for your pain and it is also safer than using NSAIDs.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Allergist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor