Had CABG surgery and stroke. On metoprolol for hypotension. Increased urination and drowsiness. Need suggestion

Dr. J Kingson John David

Posted on Tue, 19 Nov 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My question is regarding my dad who is 76 yrs old . He had CABG surgery on XXXXXXX 21st and two days post op he suffered a stroke. His recovery was complicated and included 3 weeks intubation. Mediastinitis and an 8 week course of Vancomycin I/v. He spent a month in ICU. Was treated for hypotension initially post op and tachycardia. Was started on Metoprolol which he had never taken before. To give a bit of background hx had been a very active person but was diabetic and had been on oral meds for several yrs then insulin was started last yr. He had been taking Lipitor for cholesterol and lisinopril . Has a strong family hx of heart disease. Anyway he improved and after 3 months was transferred to a rehab facility. He had severe rt sided weakness and aphasia. Before transfer to his blood pressure was usually less than 100 systolic. He was being transferred to chair via a mechanical lift. I should mention that he went into atrial fib post op which was why the metoprolol was started. Since being at the rehab facility he's improved in a short time with regards to his ADL'. He's eating and drinking well. He's continent. He's one person pivot to the chair and has all muscles working in his rt leg. His rt arm no movement. Since he started physio he's experienced several episodes of severe hypotension. Ie 60/40. Shortly after this he was started on Gabapentin for pain in his rt arm. His shoulder is dislocated. His metoprolol was decreased from 125mg bid to 50mg bid and his Lisinopril from 10mg bid to 7.5mg bid. His gabapentin dose was increased to 300mg tid. His low hypotensive episodes occurred more frequently .almost daily and sometimes twice daily especially when up in chair or having therapy. One reading was 56/41! Our family noticed increased urination, drowsiness, decreased strength and balance when ambulating. Initially it seemed to help his pain but later seemed to be ineffective. The dr caring for him said given his heart disease there is no other drug except gabapentin for his pain. The hypotension she seems to attribute to the stroke and she's reluctant to reduce or certainly discontinue the meds. I'd appreciate any feedback. I apologize for the long note but I'm desperate for any advice.
Answered by Dr. J Kingson John David 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Low blood pressure as sequeale of Post stroke

Detailed Answer:
Hello Friend ..
Thanks for your query to Health Care Magic ....

I read your concern and there is nothing to be worried about your dads frequent hypotension ... I would help you with some informations and advice to improve your dad's quality of life ..

Hypotension can occur as a result of your dads previous history of heart disease but hypotension is treatable and needs continuous monitoring . If hypotension persist then I would suggest to stop medications (Metoprolol,Lisinopril) as taking drug can still make hypotension severe . ( Consult Cardiologist before stopping / starting on medications ) .

Friend ,
1) Frequent Urination leads to decreased fluids and electrolytes
2) Not taking foods leads to tiredness and loss of weight and there will be depletion of energy leads to Anemia

1&2 causes hypotension and load to heart ..
But it is understood that your dad doesn't like to take food or drinks therefore its mandatory to restore body fluid volume by IV fluids containing nutrients and supplements and continues support .
avoid medications that induces sleep .
if your dad likes to intake fluids then i would recommend caffine and energy drinks to restore health .
Shoulder pain can also be due to fractures and depletion of water from body .

I suggest you to talk to doctor who is specialist in Cardiac care , and dont be worried as he will get well sooner to normal healthy life.

Hope this information is helpful .
I wish him a speedy recovery . You can ask me furthur in case you have more queries . Take Care ..
Dr.J.Kingson John David
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. J Kingson John David 2 hours later
The information you've given isn't really helpful. I'm a nurse myself so I know things that can cause hypotension. He IS eating and drinking well. My concern is that the Gabapentin is contributing to the hypotension and I wonder if there is an alternative given his heart condition.
Answered by Dr. J Kingson John David 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pregabalin is alternative
Detailed Answer:
Hi ...

I would like to say that All opioids / NSAIDs are known to cause less common symptoms like Hypotension, dizziness. It is advisable to stop taking pain medications in heart disease condition unless prescribed by Doctor.
Alternative to Gabapentin, Pregablin helps in relieving pain with similar little adverse reactions.

Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Thank you. I will check with his dr re this alternative
Answered by Dr. J Kingson John David 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Thanks for using XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Health Care Magic ..
Take Care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj