Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Had 7 days periods every 30 days but after delivery changed to 11 to 12 days every 28 days. Suggest medication?

Mar 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 4047 Questions
i gave birth to my daughter last december ,my period was 7 days every 30 days before pregnancy
but after delivery it extended to 11 or 12 days every 28 days is that normal?is their any medication or treatment to make it shorter?
i dont know if the following information is important : i got pregnant 6 months after delivery and had an early miscarrige at the begining of the 6th week ,I dont use any control bills we just use condom,i had some hormon disorders before pregnancy (increase in prolactin and it was treated ,and LH increase it was treated and retested my hormons 5 months after my delivery and the doctor said everything is perfect)
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
11 to 12 days menstrual bleeding is not normal.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us.

Normal period duration is 5 to 7 days. Menstrual bleeding for 11-12 days does not look normal and it is called menorrhagia in medical term.

If you were on exclusive breastfeeding, then you usually do not get your period for at least 6 months. Miscarriage may cause prolonged bleeding for 1-2 cycle.

Here, we need to rule out some underlying causative factors like fibroid, cervical or endometrial polyp, endometriosis, adenomyosis, pelvic inflammatory disease etc. I suggest you to perform overall health check up to your doctor and do one pelvic ultrasound scan, Hb% to confirm the diagnosis. With normal hormone test, hormonal imbalance is possibly excluded.

TREATMENT: 1) Started with antifibrinolytic agent like tranexamic acid for temporary arrest of the bleeding.

2) Combined oral contraceptive pill (if you are not on breast feeding) or cyclical progesterone therapy.

3) D & C in case of retained bits or incomplete abortion following miscarriage at 6th week of gestation.

4) Other supportive treatment for fibroid/ polyp is required on the basis of scan report.

5) Take iron supplements regularly and iron XXXXXXX food stuff to combat anemia and improve general health.

Kindly, consult with your gynecologist for proper prescription after examination and relevant investigation as mentioned.

Hope, I have guided you with my experience. If you need any clarification, you can freely ask me.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Had 7 days periods every 30 days but after delivery changed to 11 to 12 days every 28 days. Suggest medication? 1 hour later
Thank you for your answer
If i tell you that i dont have bleeding the whole 12 days ,i mean that the last 3 days i have only yellow or brown spotting ,and that in my family (my mother and some sisters have increased period days after first delivery for example my mothers period was 5 days but after delivery it became 7 days) provided with these information do you still consider the same previously mentioned options?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
More than 7 days bleeding needs investigation.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up query.

I have already mentioned that period duration for 5 to 7 days is normal thing but more than 7 days bleeding with brown discharge in consecutive cycles need to investigate properly.

Proper pelvic examination and one ultrasound scan are definitely helpful to rule out underlying cause and make a concrete diagnosis. On the basis of report, proper treatment can only be made. Kindly, consult with your doctor regarding this.

Hope, I have answered your query. If you do not have any other query, you can close the discussion.

All the best. Good luck.

Dr Soumen
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor