HPV +. Have white bump on tonsil. Pan xray clear. Chances of getting throat cancer?

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 24 Dec 2012 in Cancer
Question: 44 years old and HPV +

I have had a small white bump on my tonsil for over a year. I have been to 4 primary care docotrs, 3 ents and 3 dentist. ENT used a nasal scope. The only one that showed any concern was the last dentist who noticed it on her own. She did a pan xray and it showed nothing. Sent my pics to the oral surgeon who said that it looked like fibrous tissue maybe even a wart but said that it was nothing to worry about.

Can a dermatologist diagnose throat warts and if so can the dermatologist remove them? What are the chances of getting throat cancer if you have a wart on your tonsil? If it is a wart will it spread and what what are the chances of this becoming RRP

I was diagnosed with HPV 1 1/2 years ago thru a pap. My pap was normal but I was hpv+. I was told that it was on my low to worry list. By the next year my pap was abnormal and still HPV+. Pap results were Atypical Glandular Cells. Less than 1% of all pap smears come back with the Glandular finging.
All 2 of 3 biopsies came back benign. 1 showed mild cervical dysplasia.
HPV Testing at the time of pap - For strains 16 and 18
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Tonsilloliths are concretions of food particles lodged in the natural crypts of the palatine tonsils. The largest crypt is known as the crypta magna and is located near the upper pole of the palatine tonsil.

2. When we swallow, our palatine tonsils rub against the food bolus and pick up food particles. This food debris decays there while it is analysed for antigens, foreign bodies and organisms by the lymphoid tissue which forms the bulk of the tonsils. Below the age of five years, this is especially important in the development of immunity.

3. For recurrent large tonsilloliths, the only definitive treatment is tonsillectomy.

4. If this looks more like a wart and is causing anxiety, get a radio-frequency ablation done. A piece of this tissue may be sent for HPE (Histopathologoical Examination) and HPV tests which will settle the issue.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Regards.

Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 minutes later
Lets asume that it is a wart...... What are the chances that it could turn into cancer or spread resulting in RRP?
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 15 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

1. The risk of cancer is low if you regularly get it checked. The risk of Recurrent Respiratory Papillomatosis (RRP) is even lower.

2. If this is causing you anxiety, get it removed and check any for any precancerous changes in the tissue and for HPV types which are related with an increased incidence of cancer.

Regards.