HIV test negative after protected oral sex. Does it require to have test again?

Dr. Roopa Hiremath

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Wed, 4 Dec 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Question: I recived a protected oral sex from a sex worker. She also licked my testicles which had some bruises (non-bleeding). I went for a HIV test 85 days after the incident. The test says HIV 1&2 negative. Is the test conclusive after 85 days? Do I need to test again at 90 days? What is my risk?
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: HIV testing stategy Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for choosing health care magic. I have gone through your query and I understand your anxiety. Protected sex reduces the chances of infection but oral sex can be considered as potential exposure. I want to discuss the strategy proposed by National AIDS Control Organization (NACO) for testing of HIV. NACO suggests HIV testing of blood sample for antigens and antibodies after 3 months of exposure by three different kits and it is called the three kit strategy. And a person is announced as HIV negative if two consecutive results of HIV testing by two different tests comes negative. As you have already undergone a test for HIV and it has turned up negative, I suggest you undergo one last test for HIV 1 and 2 two weeks form now to confirm your HIV status. The best test would be a western blot test and this test would confirm your status and relieve you of your worry about that episode. I hope I have cleared your doubts regarding the subject. Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Roopa Hiremath 29 minutes later
I want to know if the 85 days test is good enough as 3 month test? I do not know the type of test performed. It was a blood test with blood taken from my vein and I got the results in 4 hrs time.
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: HIV testing Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome back. Most HIV tests detect antibodies against HIV 1 and 2. These HIV antibodies start appearing in the body 3-12 weeks after exposure.This period is called window period and during this period testing for antibodies may show false negative even if person is infected with HIV. As this period is variable in different persons, so NACO suggests testing after 90 days (3 months or 12 weeks) when tests will definitely become positive if the person is infected. The test done at 85 days is good enough and the test you have undergone seems to be a rapid test as you got the results within 4 hours. Now the next step would be to undergo a confirmatory test like Western blot to confirm your HIV status as negative. I hope I have answered your query satisfactorily. Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Roopa Hiremath 13 minutes later
Thank you for your answer. I am sorry I am little confused. 3 months is 90 days and 12 weeks are 84 days. I got tested at 85 days. Is the 85 days test reliable? or 90 days
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: 85 days test is good enough Detailed Answer: Hi, Considering 4 weeks in a month, 12 weeks account to 3 months. This period is an approximate time after which if the person is infected he should definitely show positive test results for HIV antibodies. So please do not worry, 85 days test is good enough. Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Roopa Hiremath 2 hours later
Thank you for your answer. Do you stil recommend to go for another test even after getting 85 days negative test? Is there a possibility of getting a positive test even after 85 days of HIV negative test?
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: Western blot is confirmatory Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome back. It is always better to get a confirmatory test done after a rapid test just to be very sure of the negative status. I am suggesting this test to confirm your negative status. Confirmation is always done as a rule because of false negative results occurring in window period. Please get the test done and if it is negative, you can stop worrying about exposure to HIV. Thanks.