HI what can i take for over active bladder i've

Dr. Aaron Branch

Posted on Sun, 30 Dec 2018 in Kidney Conditions
Question: HI what can i take for over active bladder i've used the bathroom 15 times in a matter of minute
Follow up: Dr. Aaron Branch 26 minutes later
Have no recieved any information about my problem
Answered by Dr. Aaron Branch 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Overactive bladder has many treatment options.

Detailed Answer:
Hello, I'm Dr. Branch, thanks for using Ask a Doctor.

The first step in evaluating overactive bladder is to try to determine if there is a cause that can be easily treated. I would want to know how long you've had overactive bladder, especially if it is as severe as it sounds like in your case. I would want to check a urine test to make sure that you don't have any infection that could be causing your symptoms that would need to be treated with antibiotics. I would want to know whether you have any vaginal dryness or whether you drink alcohol or caffeine a lot.

If there do not seem to be any contributing factors, we would typically start treatment with pelvic floor and bladder training exercises. For medications, anti muscarinics such as Oxybutynin (Ditropan) can be used.

After this we would assess for response and adjust the medication if needed. If you were still having problems with overactive bladder you may need to consider surgery and a referral to a urologist would be appropriate.

I hope that helps answer your question, please let me know if you have any questions about that, I would be happy to explain anything further that you might be wondering about.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Aaron Branch 10 hours later
Thanks for the advce
Answered by Dr. Aaron Branch 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
You're welcome

Detailed Answer:
You're welcome, please let me know if I can help you in the future. Thanks for your question and take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D