Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
135 Doctors are Online
Ask a Dentist   »  

Gum bleeding, plaque on teeth, gaps in between teeth after scaling. Can I get scaling done again?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Dentist, Prosthodontics
Practicing since : 1995
Answered : 77 Questions

I had scaling around 5years back due to plaque all over the teeth. From past three years, i am getting blood from teeth . From past one year, I started using Vicco Vajradanti toothpaste and getting the blood has decreased a lot. Now I could see the plaque again for my teeth. After the scaling, I got the gaps in between the teeth.
Some times from evenings, I feel bad smell in my mouth.

Questions I have:
Can I go for one more round of scaling?
Does the scaling not create more gaps between some more teeth?
Can I know the available solutions for filling gaps?
What is the suggestible frequency of scaling?

Posted Mon, 10 Sep 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Ramesh B. Hegde 9 hours later
Thank you for the query. Get your teeth checked once in 6 months, If necessary dentist will suggest for scaling. It is the deposits/scales/tartar which irritates the gums and causes bleeding, bad breath, destruction of the supporting structures [gum and bone] of the teeth. The scales irritate the supporting structures and push the supporting structures further down towards the root. This receding of supporting structures further leads to deposition of more scales and further loss of supporting structures. This would have created the gap and when the scales are removed the gap appears which was earlier occupied by scales. Scaling does not causes the gaps in between it's the consequence of not getting the scales removed regularly.
To close the gaps now soft tissue grafting from other parts of the mouth may be considered, however this requires through clinical examination.
Hope this clarifies you, if you have any doubts I am available for further discussion.
With happy regards,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dentist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor