Grey hairs on scalp, prescribed Altris gel, no grey tablets. Are these safe?

Dr. Kalpana Pathak

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 11 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi Doctor,
I am 29 years old and weighing 52 kgs.
Recently I observed quite a number of white hairs on my head.
My dermatologist prescribed Altris gel and No Grey tablets for 3 months.
Could you please let me know if these medicines are safe and donot have any side effects.I am scared to risk my hair.
Please suggest as how should I go ahead.

Kindly let me know which shampoo I need to use?
Please let me know any special dietary requirements to be taken care of.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Best Regards,
XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 55 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
The prescription suggested by your doctor is apt for your concern.
Altris gel contains melitane a new compound launched to prevent premature greying. You can use it safely as it would not harm your hair.
I have not heard of no grey tablet but I presume that it must be an oral vitamin supplement containing zinc, biotin, calcium pantothenate or PABA. Kindly check the contents on back side of medicine strip and let me know, so that I can help you out with the same.
These products are safe, so use them without worrying for the time of three months as advised by your doctor.

Premature greying usually is hereditary or due to stress and vitamin deficiencies esp calcium pantothenate deficiency..
Food XXXXXXX in protein like soy, lentils, sprouts, meats, liver, eggs along with biotin and selenium XXXXXXX food like carrots, salmon, sardines, nuts cauliflower induce good hair growth as well as prevent further premature greying. Green leafy vegetables, salads fruits are helpful too.

Shampoo should always be chosen according to your hair and scalp condition. Wella, Loreal, Schwartzkopf, dove are good brands. Shampoo is just a cleansing agent having no bearing on greying of hair.

Kindly let me know about no grey tablets.

Hoping to hear from you soon.
Follow up: Dr. Kalpana Pathak 2 days later
Hello Doctor,

Thanks for replying.
I havent bought No grey capsules yet.
Doctor had told that it contains calcium pantothenate.And you are right it is oral oral vitamin supplement which needs to be taken for 3 months.

Do you need the complete composition of the capsule?

I had one more question.
Can I apply XXXXXXX to hair like once a month while this treatment is going on?

Thank you in advance.

Best Regards,
XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 40 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing back.
Calcium pantothenate is supposed to prevent premature greying and hence I would recommend you to have those capsules. I do not need its complete composition now as just wanted to ascertain whether it has calcium pantothenate or PABA.

You can apply XXXXXXX to your hair with melitane or altris gel. It contains a peptide that stimulates pigment producing cells and XXXXXXX would not hinder that action.

Hope that helped.
Follow up: Dr. Kalpana Pathak 5 minutes later
Hello Doctor,

Thank you so much for the reply.
I will go ahead with capsules and gel.

Best Regards,
XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 14 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Follow your doctor's prescription and remain under his follow up.
Wish you good health.

PS should there be no more queries, you may close the discussion.
Follow up: Dr. Kalpana Pathak 13 hours later
Hello Doctor,

One last question.
I am planning for baby.
I hope the tablets donot cause issue for planning baby.

Best Regards,
XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 20 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing back.
A recommended daily allowance of 5 to 6 mg is safe in pregnancy and anything beyond this should be avoided. Pregnancy is a state where it is best to restrict use of medicines and supplements unless required for serious health concerns. So to be on the safer side, I would advise that you may delay planning baby for a while.