Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Greenish vaginal discharge, trichomonas infection of vagina

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12760 Questions
I'm priya 28 years of age. My weight is 40 kg. I have no serious medical problem as such. from past few days i suffering from Vaginal infection. In XXXXXXX i had this urine problem for which i took medical help and got normal however again i'm facing the same problem like itchin inside the vagina walls, burning while urination, pain and this time i have noticed a XXXXXXX discharge on my panties. I use Lactacyd lotion. I'm not sure it is the same urine infaction or something else. The discharge is very bad in odor. Please suggest?
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query.

Itchy vagina with greenish foul smelling discharge from vagina suggests the possibility of trichomonas infection of vagina.

It is easily treatable infection with the help of antibiotics but if not treated properly, notorious for recurrence. Both you and your partner need to be treated simultaneously to avoid reinfection from the partner.

You can take some general measures to avoid recurrence:

1.Avoid wearing tight underwear or other tight acrylic garments everyday. Use loose fitting cotton panties. Avoid wearing jeans, legging, panty hose every day.

2.Stay away from deodorant sanitary pads and tampons.

3.Do not remain in wet clothes for a long time.

4. Keep the vaginal area clean and dry.

I would suggest you to consult your Gynecologist to confirm the same and to discuss the necessary investigations to undergo and treatment options.

A vaginal swab culture and sensitivity will confirm the diagnosis and will guide about the antibiotic best suited for the treatment.

Burning in urination might be due to an associated urinary infection. It also needs proper antibiotic treatment from your gynecologist.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful.

I will be available for your follow up queries if any.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor