Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Green pus oozing from earring hole. Cure?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
I have green puss coming from an earring hole that has not been used in years. No pain. Just very liquid green puss.
Posted Sun, 2 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.
Pus anywhere in body indicates infection and inflammation of the tissue.
Greenish pus is more often seen in bacterial infections like pseudomonas which might need early treatment in the form of antibiotics .
I understand that you do not have any pain or swelling or any history of trauma or complaints in the earring hole but please do not neglect the purulent discharge and it would be best to consult your doctor to confirm the diagnosis and start appropriate treatment .
Meanwhile you can try to prevent further complications by ,
1. Keeping the area clean with antiseptic solution and dry with antibiotic powder like neosporin .
2. Keep the region open to air and avoid enclosing it in bandage , avoiding pressing it or handling with unclean hands.
3. If there is any antibiotic ointment like mupirocin or fusidic acid available with you then apply it thrice daily for faster healing .
If there is any swelling , pain or bleeding please consult your doctor promptly for drainage of pus and antibiotic therapy.
Hope that answers your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor