Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
193 Doctors are Online

Got stitches on chin. Noticed numbness on lips. Should I be worried? Is this temporary?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Neurologist, Surgical
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 173 Questions
Hi, we have a 4 year old son that got a cut next to his chin, which was stiched up in the hospital yesterday. It seems like the right part of his bottom lip is numb and his speech is a bit affected. Is this something to worry about? Is this temporary? What could have caused this? How long till full recovery? Can this be permanent?
Posted Sat, 17 Nov 2012 in Stroke
Answered by Dr. Vineet Saggar 5 hours later

Thanks for the query.

I read the details submitted with diligence and I am sorry for your son.

But don't worry. This is most likely temporary. Injury to marginal mandibular branch or submental nerves may cause sensory disturbances. Though recovery is possible, it may take up to 3 months for complete recovery.

Speech may be affected due to pain or swelling or sometimes due loss of sensations also. This too should improve gradually.

Hope I was able to address your concerns. Let me know if you have other enquiries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor