Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Got small movable lump on the outside of knee cap. Having pain with difficulty in walking. Treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1999
Answered : 711 Questions
I found a small movable lump on the outside of my knee cap. It's barely noticeable except to the touch. However, for about four days its been extremely hard to walk, I can't push my weight up on it and I have to be careful about sitting so as not to jar it. If I do jar it in any way a sharp pain shoots up the outer side of my thigh to my hip but goes no further and doesn't affect any other part of my knee.
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 9 hours later

Thank you for your query.

I think what you have is a prepatellar bursitis. It is the inflammation of a small pocket of tissue in front of the knee cap. It is usually very painful.

You need to take rest for a few days. Elevate your leg and apply ice pack to the local area.
Take acetaminophen tablets thrice daily to ease the pain.

If the pain persists consult an orthopaedic.

Hope this answers your query.
If you have any further queries you are free to consult me

Wishing you a speedy recovery...
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor