Owl Image

Got severe pain in calf while sleeping and pain in upper thigh. What could be causing this?

Question
I am aged 62 and fairly active physically, though perhaps 5 - 6 kg overweight. I bike , walk, daily do pushups, stretch etc. 4 years ago I suffered a PE in right lung. A few weeks ago i had a bad savage cramp in my right calf while i was in bed sleeping. Which went away through stretching. Since then we have travelled to NZ on cruise ship and 2 X 2 hour plane flights (wore pressure stockings and had a claxene injection before each flight).

last few days in my upper thigh my skin has been sore to touch - Front right leg 3 inches below right hip. Still sore after 4 days. No redness or discolouration. Parhaps I am paranoid about another clot?
Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
The most likely causes for such a symptom could be because of
Tight clothing around waist resulting in pressure on nerves
Seat belt pressure on lower waist,if you are travelling a lot recently
Could be because of lack of VIT B12 

I advise you take some VIT B 12 either orally or by injections and wait for few weeks.
I think this should go off in few weeks however if your symptoms don't go or they increase,then you may consult a doctor to look for the cause,although I feel you shall be all right soon.
 I hope it helps however you may revert o me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks

Follow-up: Got severe pain in calf while sleeping and pain in upper thigh. What could be causing this? 4 minutes later
Thank You Dr XXXXXXX

does vitamin B12 thin the blood?
What is its purpose?

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 43 minutes later
VIT b12 is used for proper function of nerves,brain,blood cells and many other parts of body.

Vitamins B6 and B12 can help to thin your blood. In fact, a combination of folic acid with vitamins B6 and B12 may help to lower the homocysteine levels in your body, which can reduce your risk for cardiovascular disease and blood-clot formation. 
Thanks