Got severe nail injury. Nail turned dark and half of nail is detached from nail bed. Common?

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Sat, 20 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I banged the top of my big toenail on a tree root while I was hiking. I had tennis shoes on when it happened. It hurt like crazy for several days, especially when any pressure was applied to it. This happened in October. The toenail has gradually darkened and is thicker and has a ridge at the base of it. When i clip the nail, I see dark debris under the nail, which I can pull out. The nail on one side appears to lift up. It is unsightly, and I am wondering if this is a common occurrence after an injury to a nail. If so, how long does it take to resolve itself?
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 42 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. This is a common occurrence after a severe nail injury.

2. The pain usually reduces but lingers on. Even if the entire nail bed is not avulsed, the part which has lifted up will not get re-attached.

3. If a large part of the nail has been separated, you may get it surgically removed. Get a General Surgeon's opinion. If the nail is going to fall off, it is better to leave it in place if there is no infection. This is because the fresh nail bed is very sensitive.

4. With full avulsion, healing time is in months as toe nails grow slower than finger nails.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.