Got severe hit on the nose. Should I go to the ER?

Dr. Anil Grover

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 4 Jan 2013 in General Health
Question: My son just called me from school - someone's head hit him full force in the nose and he passed out. Should he go to the ER to check for a concussion?Well, I guess i will take him to the ER just to be safe. I have health insurance that requires a precert to do that but I don't think I have time. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
The way you are describing 'hit on the nose' if he did not hit back of his against wall or floor means that his head has been saved from injury and his passing out can be vasovagal. However you did the right thing. Even if there is suspicion of head injury and concussion the child has to be observed in emergency for next 24 hours as complications can arise within that period after concussion. The health care staff will surely look for any fracture of bone and collection of blood within the skull(hematoma). He will be alright you handled the situation well. Good Luck.
If there is any query I will be only too happy to answer.

Regards.

Dr Anil Grover
MBBBS, MD(Medicine), DM(Cardiology)
Cardiologist and Internist