Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Got severe hit on the nose. Should I go to the ER?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 1981
Answered : 922 Questions
My son just called me from school - someone's head hit him full force in the nose and he passed out. Should he go to the ER to check for a concussion?Well, I guess i will take him to the ER just to be safe. I have health insurance that requires a precert to do that but I don't think I have time. Thank you
Posted Fri, 4 Jan 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
The way you are describing 'hit on the nose' if he did not hit back of his against wall or floor means that his head has been saved from injury and his passing out can be vasovagal. However you did the right thing. Even if there is suspicion of head injury and concussion the child has to be observed in emergency for next 24 hours as complications can arise within that period after concussion. The health care staff will surely look for any fracture of bone and collection of blood within the skull(hematoma). He will be alright you handled the situation well. Good Luck.
If there is any query I will be only too happy to answer.


Dr Anil Grover
MBBBS, MD(Medicine), DM(Cardiology)
Cardiologist and Internist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor