Got screw in leg after hip fracture. Started getting pain while walking. What might be causing this?

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Wed, 30 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I had rods/screw in my leg as result of left hip fracture 2 years ago. My recovery has been great (race walking, exercise classes, gym, dancing) About two months ago I did a movement in line dancing that brought severe, but seemingly, brief pain and continued my usual exercise activities without noticing any unusual pain or changes. However, starting about a month ago I noticed some pain when race walking that I had not had before and although mild to begin with is now intermittent, at times intense in the thigh where the "hardware" is . Do you think I dislodged something in the leg? Do you have any ideas on what might be causing this pain and what to do about it?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

From description, it seems you might get stress fracture and it might be the cause of your pain.

X-rays are commonly used to determine stress fracture. Sometimes, the stress fracture cannot be seen on regular x-rays or will not show up for several weeks after the pain starts. Occasionally, a computed topography (CT) scan or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) will be necessary.

The most important treatment is rest. Individuals need to rest from the activity that caused the stress fracture, and engage in a pain-free activity during the six to eight weeks it takes most stress fractures to heal.

In addition to rest, shoe inserts or braces may be used to help these injuries heal.

I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician nearby for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. You may get the X-ray/CT scan/MRI of the area affected under his/her guidance.

Hope this discussion was useful. I will be available for further guidance if you needed.Please close this discussion, if you do not have any other queries. I would appreciate your reviews about this service.

Wishing you good health...

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.