Got scratched by dog. Taken injection after one month. Is there anything to be worried about?

Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani

Posted on Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in Infections
Question: My sister got little scratched by our puppy while playing , its almost a month and scratch got dry and left one line mark.Yesterday someone told me to get injection for her so i gave her one rabipur inj.please help me is my sister will be alright ? Her 2 inj.are left and will complete that dose. And our puppy is already taken vaccine injection. My sister is fine n puppy also fine.please help me..need advice.
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to worry.

Detailed Answer:

I do not see any reason for worry.

When you puppy is vaccinated and staying with you there is no need to worry.

In case of domestic bite what we advise is that if the dog is vaccinated for needed vaccines,there is no need for your sister to take any vaccine.

Most the dogs who are infected with rabies shows signs of rabies in about a week to 10 days,it is already 1 month,so chances of your dog having rabies goes out of question.

In given situation your sister does not require any treatment.

As she has already taken one injection,either she can discontinue taking more or else if you are very much apprehensive,she can take 2 more injection on day 3 and 21 (counted as day 0,first day of injection) as a part for prophylaxis for future bite.

I hope this clarifies.

Dr.Pragnesh