Got road rash wound on foot. Should I take oral antibiotic to fight infection?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 10 Jan 2013 in Infections
Question: I have a few "road rash"-type wounds on my foot from running and slipping on a swimming pool deck and scraping my wet skin down to the flesh on the non-slip cement deck texture. I stupidly went int he hot tub the next day thinking they were more superficial than they were. The larger would is round and 1/2" in diameter; the area around the wound is pink about 1/4" to 3/8" around it; the pink area had started to grow in size but seems to have shrunk back down responding to topical treatment (12 hour cycle of alternating covered bandage with antibiotic ointment with airing it out). I leave on a Carribbean cruise on Saturday. My question is do I need to get an oral antibiotic to fight any infection?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
I have seen the pictures attached. The wounds are XXXXXXX and the surrounding area is red and inflamed. It needs oral broad spectrum antibiotics to control the infection in the area. You can get the suitable antibiotic prescribed from your physician.
Continue with the topical treatment with antibiotic ointment. Doing a hot fomentation in the area will help in faster healing.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 14 hours later
WHat are the typical broad spectrum antibiotics used in this type of case? I know you cannot prescribe over the web here and will not consider your theoretical mention of types of antibiotic to be a prescription but purely educational and informational. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 10 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
In these cases usually a combination of antibiotics like cefixime or cefpodoxime with metronidazole or Sulfamethoxazole + Trimethoprim is preferred.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.