Owl Image

Got rib injury. Started stomach ache and acidity problem. Are they related?

Question
Hello Doctor,

Last month i fell down while getting down the stairs. I was hit on my back near the ribs and then on my sides. And that night my right side of stomach was aching badly. After few days i got a ultra scanning done and since i drank very little water, the doc could check organs(liver,kidney etc) other than ovary and wrote a report saying all functions well. Again for past two weeks, my stomach hurts. I had acidity problems for which i took some Eno. I get this some times near the belly. Sometimes below the belly. I get pain on my extreme right too and at times when i press my stomach, it would hurt. I do not have blood when i pass motion, nor vomiting. I am working as a software Engineer for past 5 years. I take food mostly from restaurants and yea, to add, I am not so good in drinking water always.. I feel so uneasy on the inside. I do not have pain when i pass motion but still its like something is wrong when i sit while working. The docs gave me Dolo and then a cream to apply saying that its muscular strain because of the fall. I do not know whether it lasts longs (for more than a month). Because in between i was alright for two weeks after which i started getting pain.
Fri, 4 Jan 2013 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
I understand your concern and try my best to help you.
Since you were all right for 2 weeks after your fall ,it indicates that the current pain doesn't have any relation with the injury.
Your pain abdomen could be due to amoebic colitis with or without worms.This possibility is more in people who generally take outside food regularly.
I would advise you to take a course of metronidazole 400 mg three times a day along with a probiotic like vizylac twice a day for five days.
Take a tablet of ALBENDAZOLE 400 mg once only.
If there is no improvement after 5 days you are advised to consult a gastroenterologist.
I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks