Got periods after miscarriage. Ultrasound taken. What are the findings in the report?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 18 Jan 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Question: Dear Dr of OBGYN,

I would like to send you two photos and could you interpret it for me please? I am living in vietnam and was unable to find a doctor who speaks English in the town I'm working. This ultrasound was taken , could you please tell me what it represents ? I had a period 16 days ago, I am very unsure what I am looking at, where is the Uterus? What is represented on this scan? I had an abortion 6 weeks ago and in my mind i am afraid the pregnancy still exists..please could you describe in details where is the uterus (white shaded area below bladder?) and confirm from the ultrasound that no pregnancy is current? Also please could you tell me if anything look unusual with this scan? Many thanks regards
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 51 minutes later
I have seen the ultrasound report and the image attached.
The uterus is the white shaded area below the bladder and looks normal. It shows an ovarian cyst- A dark colored area next to the uterus below the bladder.
The uterus is not likely to have any retained products of conception. In case there is no bleeding or abdominal pain then most likely the abortion you had was a complete one. The ovarian cyst needs a follow up scan after 6 weeks to see the trend.
There is no current pregnancy likely.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Thank you Madam Dr.

I have a few outstanding query I would really appreciate your help:

1) the photo with the writing behind (report) in XXXXXXX the Ovarian Cyst lies below the uterus ? (The photo on left side)
2) the shaded white area inside the black area is what? (Photo on left side)
3) the measurement indicator is a measurement of ? (Photo left side)
4) the uterus is represented on (photo on right side)?
5) is it possible to "miss" a baby on an ultrasound at 12 weeks?
6) if a baby was inside the uterus from these photos, it would be easy to identify?

You've been extra helpful so far and I'd love to rate you a high score with great commendment , so thank you so much to you help me

Best wishes
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 31 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The suspected ovarian cyst is on the left side of uterus.
The dark black area with the measurements is likely to be the cyst. A closer and more detailed picture with multiple images will help in a better understanding. Without a proper labelling of the images, it is difficult to exactly interpret all the anatomical structures. You will have to talk to the radiologist who performed the scan for better details.
At 12 weeks gestation, a baby is not likely to be missed on an ultrasound scan.
In case a pregnancy was present, a separate print out of the gestation sac should have been there.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 15 minutes later
OK thank you Dr, my last questions:

1) from this ultrasound I am really struggling to see the Uterus, if there was a pregnancy present, surely it would be inside the uterus.. Just so I can clear my mind of all these thoughts, could you tell me exactly where the uterus is and which photo you are referring to when pointing it out?

2) the cyst maybe the measurement (the radiologist doesn't speak english) - but the huge black area below the bladder with a shaded white to the left of the black area, I don't understand what is that area and the white ?

Thank you very very much
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
The picture on the left shows the uterus- the greyish white oval mass next to the urinary bladder( The dark area). The uterus does not show any pregnancy inside in this picture.
The picture on the right is showing the measurements of the ovarian cyst.
The white area next to the cyst is likely to be the bowel loop shadows.
I hope this makes the picture little more clear.
You can consult me again directly through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal
Please recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.
I wish you the very best in whatever you do.
Warm regards