Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
131 Doctors are Online

Got over cold. Taking ZPak and a cough suppressant. Noticed soreness in throat. Having pain in ears. Suggest?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1462 Questions
I recently got over a bad cold. I was given ZPak and a cough suppressant. Everything has cleared up, the cough just recently abated and I have been feeling better. However, I noticed a soreness in my neck in a small area just to the right of my Adam's XXXXXXX There's no lump or swelling that I can tell, but it's tender especially to the touch. As well I have pain in my ears now the right much worse than the left. As a smoker, my first thought was cancer, but I am a worrier anyway.
Posted Sat, 24 Aug 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 43 minutes later
Thanks for your query.
sometimes soreness in throat persists for long time after a bad throat infection. At this time it is not unusual to have tenderness over the adam's XXXXXXX area. The pain there can radiate to the ears as well. As you are a smoker, you are predisposed to this problem. This may clear in the coming weeks; some steam inhalation, warm saline gargles and voice rest will help.
unless this fails to clear in the following 2- 3 weeks, I would not suspect cancer. But do keep in touch with your doc, as he or she can monitor your condition closely.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further followup queries, if any.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Got over cold. Taking ZPak and a cough suppressant. Noticed soreness in throat. Having pain in ears. Suggest? 9 minutes later
Great thanks%21 So since the pain is outside of the throat%2C more like around on the muscles%2C can i apply heat or massage to that area%3F
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 2 hours later
Yes, its more around the throat. You can certainly apply heat and light massage.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor