Got odorless discharge after applying Miconazole OTC cream for yeast infection. Normal?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in Women's Health
Question: I am having an odorless and itchless clumpy pale XXXXXXX discharge after one night inserting Miconazole OTC cream. I have been taking Diflucan for recurrent yeast infection which started in October 2012. I do not have health insurance but I work in a health clinic and I have taken Diflucan twice a week since this began. Typically burning of yeast infection and cottage cheese discharge disapper in 2 days of Diflucan dose, but return before the week is up.

I have not abused ABX as I prefer NOT to use them unless I am strongly recommended to do so for URI, sinus infection etc. Last ABX was July 2012 for an abcess that cultured Staph. I took 10 days Clindamycin as I am allergic to sulfa meds.

After Diflucan, yeast clears up during and few days after period, then returns again. I have also tried eating massive amounts of yogurt (2cups plain greek daily) cutting out all bread, pasta, sugar, white vegetables and fruit. I lost 4 lbs in a week, but I can't shake this yeast infection! I even tried the ACV douche 1tsp diluted into 5oz water, twice daily. It cured my yeast until my period came and went at which time yeast infection also returned.

I do not want to have to take Diflucan every 3 days for the rest of my life and ruin my liver. I have not had a yeast infection since 2000. I also began checking my blood sugars to rule out diabetes (runs in family)-- but my glucose runs btwn 95 fasting to 106 after eating.

I cannot afford employer offered health insurance at $50 per paycheck (divorced mother of two) and I cannot get a visit with a gyno because I have Plan First Medicaid which is only for birth control. Any advice?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Having treatment for vaginal discharge multiple times without being relieved of discharge is distressing. Fungal vaginosis if not treated vigorously is notorious for recurrence. A common reason of recurrent infections is simultaneous improper treatment of the partner which keeps on reinfecting the female partner repeatedly.
You need to take antifungal drugs orally along with antibacterial agent in order to treat any super added infection that might have been present.
Fluconazole and azithromycin are considered as considerably effective drugs. This should be taken by your partner too. You can consult a gynaecologist for selecting the best drug for you after proper examination.
The recurrence of infection in your case is most likely due to the incomplete treatment. The only oral anti fungal tablets are not sufficient for full cure.
You can take some general measures to avoid recurrence-
1.Avoid wearing tight underwear or other tight acrylic garments everyday. Use loose fitting cotton underwear and panties. Avoid wearing jeans, legging, panty hose every day.
2.Stay away from deodorant sanitary pads and tampons.
3.Do not remain in wet clothes for a long time.
4. You can insert tampoons dipped in yogurt into your vagina twice a day after your periods. Be sure not to keep them inside for more than two hours.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 31 hours later
Thank you Dr. Tayal- I suspected my partner might be unknowningly passing my yeast infection back to me. However, he takes warfarin for history of DVT he cannot take typical antibiotics. Am I right that if he is not treated simultaneously, the issue will continue?

He does not grasp that he is a factor because he doesn't have symptoms. When I get another yeast infection it takes weeks to clear up and he says how can he be a factor when we have not been intimate in weeks? I keep trying to explain the yeast infection always takes weeks to clear up. He doesn't understand that one encounter weeks ago can cause suffering for me up until my monthly cycle.

This has caused great strain on our relationship. Please advise if there is a medication that he may take simultaneoulsy- which will not affect his warfarin.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 12 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
If your partner is not treated simultaneously, the recurrent infection is difficult to treat. The antibiotics that are recommended do interact with warfarin. It is best to get a proper antibiotic prescribed from his physician who after checking his coagulation profile will prescribe the antibotic best suitable for him.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.