Owl Image

Got nose injury. Noticed swelling and tender to touch. Concerned

Question
My nose was injured 5 days ago by a small book falling off a shelf and hitting me on the bridge of my nose. My nose became swollen and congested. Two days ago was the first time I could breathe clear again but then I put some pressure on my nose to feel for tenderness or a break and it seems that pressing on the bridge (especially towards the tip of my nose) increased my stuffiness. Now I am concerned I damaged my nose more or shifted cartilage by pressing on it. Is that possible? I had rhinoplasty 30 years ago at age 18 and don't want to have to have another surgery. Also, would applying ice to it help in any way or is it too late to start that now?
Fri, 4 Jan 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Welcome to healthcare Magic!
A small book falling on nose is a very small force to cause a fracture of nasal bone, and it is still less likely of shearing of a cartilage because your surgery was a thing of the past.
The swelling and congestion seems to be related to the local soft tissue swelling and the combination of paracetamol and nasal decongestants like WIKORYL thrice a day for 3 days would be a good solution to your problem.
I hope the advise would be informative and useful for you.
Take Care!