Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Got muscle pulled just beneath my lower right abdomen rib cage. What can be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Oncologist, Radiation
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 526 Questions
I can produce a dull ache almost feels like a muscle pull just beneath my lower right abdomen rib cage by performing certain activities. I only get this ache when I'm stretching my right side or certain particular motions like a side bend. Oddly it feels cramped on occasion when lying on my right side at night, but if I make a slight adjustment while lying it goes away. Probably been this way going on 4 months maybe 5...any ideas ?XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 30 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Dipanjan Majumder 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.

Very often abdominal pain is an alarming sign of underlying major disorder. But if this pain is related to exertion most of the organic pathology can be ruled out.

Like any other muscle in the human body, your abdominal muscles can have spasms as a result of muscle strain during heavy use or overuse, fatigue, dehydration, and alcohol or drug use.

Other causes like pain originating from underlying viscera ( organ) like pancreas, gall bladder, small and large intestine, appendix can present with abdominal pain but your symptoms does not support these problems.

Sometimes any lung pathology can present with abdominal pain due to interconnected nerve supply from intercostal nerves of parietal pleura (covering of lung) and diaphragm (abdominal structure), other possibility at your age is cardiac problem. Sometimes cardiac problem can have referred abdominal pain.

Anyway there is nothing to worry at present. You should consult a physician who can better guide you after detailed clinical examination and relevant investigations. I will be available for follow up.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor