Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
178 Doctors are Online

Got monkey scratch. Noticed small amount of blood. Given TT shot. What should be the course of treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
Hi My daughter aged 12 got a monkey scratch nearly 100 hrs back in vrindavan.A small trickle of blood came out. We gave her a T T shot within 6 hrs. What should be the course of treatment if any.
Posted Tue, 16 Jul 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
Hello ,
Thanks for posting your query.
Please do not worry. It's good that you have given a TT shot . If its a minor scratch which has healed no further antibiotics are needed . However if there is a wound or pus formation then a course of local and oral antibiotics ( cephalexin , amoxicillin etc) might be needed . Apart from this any scratch or bite of wild animals needs to be treated with anti rabies vaccine (ARV)which are given as 3-5 dose injections ( varies from case to case).
It's best that you get your child's wound evaluated by your doctor who can then prescribe the ARV and antibiotics if needed.
Wishing you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor