Owl Image

Got light periods. Feeling nausea and fatigued. Is it safe to smoke during pregnancy?

Question
so i think i maybe pregnant i have been nauseated the past week and feeling very fatigued but the thing is not even two weeks ago i had a very short 3 day period that was very light but my regular period is 6 to 7 days long and heavy. my question is well i smoke and if i am pregnant could it harm the fetus this early on?

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 35 minutes later
Hello
Welcome and thanks for writing to us

Yes ,the smoking can harm the fetus in early pregnancy as well as later on.It can hamper in the brain development in some cases as it is the period of organogenesis.Later on the fetus may be a growth retarded fetus.It is better to quit smoking before you plan for the pregnancy.As you had spotting so it is better to get blood tests , urine test for pregnancy done.If they are positive then you should get an ultrasound scan done.Take folic acid regularly.

Best wishes and good luck
Any further query is most welcome