Got knee injury. Noticed swelling and dent in knee cap. Any ideas?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 24 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I fell running 2 weeks ago..on my right knee. I have had full use of my knee. It has been swollen but hasnt stopped my normal activities..I have a dent in my knee cap though..Any ideas??
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
The swelling of the knee with minimal pain on the movement is likely to be due to a hematoma formation either due to a soft tissue injury or due to a hairline fracture.
For diagnosis it is important to get an x-ray of the knee and a MRI scan of the area done. X-rays are very sensitive for picking up any fracture and MRI is one of the best tests for ruling out and identifying soft tissue injuries in the area of fall.
I recommend you to consult an Orthopedician for proper examination and required investigations.
Meanwhile -
1. Do a cold compress on the area of injury.
2. Avoid weight bearing on the foot.
3. Keep the leg elevated on two pillows while resting.
4. Get some mild pain killers prescribed from your doctor.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.