Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Got knee injury. Hard lump appeared and having pain. Should I be worried?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10447 Questions
I fell on my left knee 2 weeks ago, and it has been gradually getting more painful. I have a large hard lump right under my knee cap, and it is kinda warm to the touch. Is this something to worry about?
Posted Wed, 19 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
From the symptoms it looks like formation of a hematoma in the joint or any hair line fracture. For this it is important to get an x-ray limb and a MRI scan of the area done. X-rays are very sensitive for picking up any fracture and MRI is one of the best tests for ruling out and identifying soft tissue injuries in the area of fall.

I suggest you to apply cold compresses on your knee by wrapping ice in a towel and take some Ibuprofen or Tylenol after prescription from your doctor. You can also apply flexall to the area. You can also follow certain lifestyle measures which can help you with this pain. These include:

1) Give complete rest to the affected part.

2) Avoid bearing weight on the limb(standing, walking, etc.)

3) You may use a walker to avoid putting a direct pressure on the limb.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Got knee injury. Hard lump appeared and having pain. Should I be worried? 6 minutes later
I should have noted that the lump appeared immediately after the fall, and is very hard like a rock. At this time I am not allowed to take anti inflammatory's due to duodenal ulcers. Probably a doctors visit is in order ? Should I see my family physician and if I can't get an appointment do you think this is something to have xrayed via urgent care tomorrow?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 20 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Yes you need to visit your physician for an X-ray and if needed an MRI as MRI is the best investigation to detect any soft tissue injuries. You can get these done through emergency care too.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor