Got knee injury. Found swelling and fluid moving around lower leg. Suggest some cure

Dr. Vineet Saggar

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Mon, 31 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: 2 weeks ago I banged my XXXXXXX on a hard object (terracotta flower pot) and since then have a bubble about an inch in diameter of fluid next to the wound. It does not hurt to walk but I am aware of the fluid moving around my lower leg. My ankle is slightly swollen all the time and more so at night. I woulld like to know if there is something I can do to get rid of the fluid?

Answered by Dr. Vineet Saggar 5 hours later
Dear Friend,

Fluid is actually liquefied haematoma, nothing needs to be done for that though it can be aspirated with a needle but that caries risk of infection. So let it resolve with time.

Hope this answers your query. Do write back for follow up queries that you may have.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E