Got injury on wrist. No fracture seen in x-ray and found spots on bone. Should I be concerned?

Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal

Pediatrician

Posted on Fri, 4 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I had an injury to my wrist, they took an x-ray noted no break but the radiologist noted spots on the bone. If the wrist was not feeling better consult an orthopedist. It is feeling better. But what does he mean by "spots". Is this any cause for concern. Injured the wrist pulling a heavy object off a shelf above my head. Dropped off the shelf suddenly and I caught the weight of the box 30lbs. on my wrist. It jerked in a downward bending motion causing pain when trying to twist the wrist prompting the visit to the local urgent care.
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

I would have appreciated if you would have used the facility provided on this platform to upload the X-ray and the radiologist's report to give you an opinion. Spots on the x-ray can also be artefacts and I would not worry about them.

You are fortunate that you have not broken any bone reading the description of the injury. The pain in the wrist is due to soft tissue or ligament injury. Immobilizing the wrist for a couple of days by crepe bandage shall provide relief.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you require any clarifications or would like to share more facts of the case.

Wishing you an early recovery.

RKK