Got injury on knee and hand. Bruise developed on hand. Will it be cured by itself?

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Sat, 12 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi! I fell forward one week ago. I fractured my right fibula in my ankle as I rolled my ankle and hit that joint first. I also landed on my left knee and tried to catch myself with my left hand. At the time of the accident, my hand/wrist hurt, but not nearly as bad as my ankle. I iced my hand/wrist and rested it. It never really swelled. I developed a faint XXXXXXX bruise on the top of my hand a few days later. Now a week later my wrist/hand is throbbing on the pinky side. The cold weather seems to have made it worse. I have little strength in my hand and trouble picking things up. It really hurts to bend my hand all the way forward, and hurts a little when I bend it all the way backwards.

Will this resolve itself or is it possible I've really hurt myself?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 6 hours later

From description, it seems you might have developed soft tissue injury/ligament injury with or without a nerve injury at wrist and hand.

I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. You may get the MRI for ligament injury / electrodiagnostic study (Nerve conduction velocity) for nerve injury of the area affected under his/her guidance.

In the interim, take anti-inflammatory drug like Motrin to reduce pain and inflammation. Avoid lifting weight and rest well.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Wishing you good health
Dr Saurabh Gupta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Saurabh Gupta 16 hours later
Thank you for your answer, Dr. XXXXXXX With the holidays upon us, I am covered up with family visiting and other commitments for more than a week. What's the worst case scenario if I take the "wait and see" approach?

I appreciate your counsel.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 3 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

I can understand that you are busy in your holidays, but it is better to have a proper diagnosis as early as possible so that proper treatment plan can be taken.

A fracture. A fractured bone continues to bleed. Besides that, the healing process is affected - thereby worsening the condition.

Therefore I advice you not follow a wait and see approach... A Simple X-ray of the affected area will rule out the possibility of fracture. We can pursue a wait and watch approach then.

I hope that clears your doubts.

Wishing you speedy recovery...
Dr Saurabh Gupta