Got injury in ankle. Swelling appeared and hurts to walk. On ibuprofen. Any thoughts?

Dr. Stephen Christensen

Posted on Sat, 15 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I fell in the shower on Sunday night and hurt my rt ankle. 6 days later it is bruised on the dorsal aspect of the foot and the medial aspect of the ankle. The swelling has gone down significantly, it's about 2X it's normal size currently with swelling from the top of the foot to about 6 inches up my XXXXXXX It hurts to point my toes and to walk down stairs. I can bare weight and walk but I cannot ambulate properly, I cannot push off the sore foot so end up limping and sliding it forward. I didn't get an xray because it does not hurt at rest. I can invert and evert my foot and curl my toes and point them...though it hurts like hell. I have been treating with ice, ibuprofen, and a tensor bandage. Any thoughts?
Answered by Dr. Stephen Christensen 4 hours later
Hello. I'm sorry you're having problems.

Given your history of Crohn's disease and asthma, I'd suggest you get this injured foot x-rayed. The malabsorption and/or corticosteroid therapy associated with Crohn's disease increases your risk for osteopenia or osteoporosis, which, in turn, increases your risk for fracture. If you've used corticosteroids from time to time to deal with your asthma, this further increases your risk for osteoporosis and fracture.

Just because your foot doesn't hurt when it isn't moving doesn't mean you haven't sustained a fracture. Indeed, immobilization of a fracture usually leads to a significant reduction in pain, so keeping your foot still would be expected to alleviate fracture pain.

You're now a week out from your original injury, and it doesn't sound like you've seen a lot of improvement. It's time to get a better look with an x-ray to rule out a mid-foot fracture. I suggest you see a physician at your earliest opportunity.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if there are other concerns

Good luck!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Stephen Christensen 1 hour later
Ok thanks I will go to emerg for an xray tomorrow..gotta love Canadian healthcare lol my only option is emerg. that sucks. will let you know.
Answered by Dr. Stephen Christensen 10 hours later
I hope it goes well. It sounds like you're in a situation that's shared by about 50 million Americans -- alas, there's no such thing as a perfect healthcare system.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli