Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
148 Doctors are Online

Got hit with a line drive. Iced but leg is swollen and bruised. Area is sore, stings and slightly numb. Could I ask a doctor?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1978
Answered : 6714 Questions
I got hit with a line drive on the inside of my XXXXXXX with a softball while I was pitching(don't think it hit the bone) I iced it within 5 minutes, my leg swelled and bruised within 10 minutes of the injury. This happened last night; I have been icing for 20 minutes every 2 hours. My leg is still swollen (aprx. 7 inches round, inside shin). The bruising is now light but covers half my leg. I can't seem to get the swelling done. The area is sore, stings and slightly numb.
I read on the internet that I should see a doctor if the bruising and swelling happened within 30 minutes (which it did).
What should I do? I am a 45 year old female. Thanks
Posted Tue, 17 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
thanks for the query.
Brief answer....hopefully should be all right in next couple of days.
detailed answer...
bruising and swelling is common after a hit like that.
hopefully it should be all right in next couple of days although bruise may take some time to go away.
Icing is good for initial 24 to 36 hours only.After that not much role left for it.
Take anti inflammatory like ibuprofen 400 mg three times a day for 5-6 days.
If your pain doesn't go way in next couple of days or if the pain increases or if the swelling increases,then you must consult a doctor and get the area X-rayed.
I sincerely believe that it should not be a fracture and should be all right.
I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query,
Best of luck
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor