Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
159 Doctors are Online

Got hit on upper buttocks. Bruise appeared and tender to touch. Any safe treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10703 Questions
I recently fell down the stairs, landing HARD on my left upper buttocks. After applying ice and laying down for a few hours, it has swollen to the size of a grapefruit. It is a very dark bruise, and is tender. It's both awkward and painful to sit down, sit up, and walk. I can walk, however it's painful as I use my left side. It hurts to sit up from a sitting position, and cannot put all of my weight on the left side. The bruise is VERY big, hard, and is continuing to darken in color. There is no grating feeling, however putting pressure on key areas of the bruise hurts ALOT. The bruise is just beside the top of the crack. What should I do to ensure that:
a) there is no serious injury, especially to my back.
b) I can ensure a safe treatment immediately
Fri, 4 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.
The symptoms that you have are likely to be due to a hematoma formation. To rule out any injury to the back and to find out the extent of the soft tissue injury, MRI of the lower back is the best investigation.
I recommend you to consult an Orthopedician for proper examination and required investigations.
Meanwhile -
1. Do a cold compress on the area of injury.
2. Avoid weight bearing on the hip joint. Have bed rest.
3. Get some mild pain killers prescribed from your doctor.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor