Got hit on toe. Noticed blood clot, pus discharge from nail. Took antibiotic. Should I consult a surgeon?

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Wed, 15 May 2013 in General Health
Question: Hi

I had hurt my right toe 3 weeks back and there was a blood clot initially. But last week, there was pus from the nail and a portion of the nail has become yellow, due to the pus. There is still pus in the nail. I went to the doctor and she has given me a course of antibiotics and an ointment. (mupirocin ointment usp t-bact ointment & pecef 200 antibiotic). She has asked me to visit her after 2 days. Should i visit a surgeon and get the pus out or should i finish the antibiotic course first?

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 10 hours later
I think you can wait for the antibiotic course to finish.
In case you feel that pain is increasing or size of pus is increasing,then you may go to see the surgeon for draining it,otherwise you can wait for the medicine course to finish.
I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks