Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
137 Doctors are Online

Got hit on toe. Noticed blood clot, pus discharge from nail. Took antibiotic. Should I consult a surgeon?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1978
Answered : 6714 Questions

I had hurt my right toe 3 weeks back and there was a blood clot initially. But last week, there was pus from the nail and a portion of the nail has become yellow, due to the pus. There is still pus in the nail. I went to the doctor and she has given me a course of antibiotics and an ointment. (mupirocin ointment usp t-bact ointment & pecef 200 antibiotic). She has asked me to visit her after 2 days. Should i visit a surgeon and get the pus out or should i finish the antibiotic course first?

Posted Sun, 12 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 10 hours later
Thanks for the query.
I think you can wait for the antibiotic course to finish.
In case you feel that pain is increasing or size of pus is increasing,then you may go to see the surgeon for draining it,otherwise you can wait for the medicine course to finish.
I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor