Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

Got hit on the chest area with wheelbarrow. Having pain while breathing. Should I consult orthopedic?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5767 Questions
Good morning. I am a 46 year old white male. General good health. I was helping a landscaping crew (my home) on Friday, moving dirt (wheelbarrow) and putting down sod. I moved the wheelbarrow full of dirt up a very steep slope about 9-10 times. Very hard work. We where moving at such an incline and over wooden plank path and I slipped with wheelbarrow in my hands. When I slipped going up the hill with the wheelbarrow full of dirt, the left arm of the wheelbarrow came crashing back into my left pectoral/upper rib area above the heart.
I thought that it may be a bad bruise. Yesterday, last night, this morning, the pain is very intense and I am taking short breaths to prevent movement which causes severe pain. Little coughs are killing me.
Should I physical go to a Walk-In clinic or wait until I can see my Orthopedic physician? Today is Easter Sunday.
Thank you. XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 20 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 3 hours later

Thank you for the query.

Chest injuries even if does not seem to be serious can give significant traumas. Rib fracture and pneumothorax is quite often after such trauma and always should be ruled out. Especially that pneumothorax can be life threatening condition.
That is why it is strongly advisable for you to visit your doctor as soon as possible, have chest X-ray and ribs X-ray performed.
Please do not wait with it.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor