Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Got hit on lip. Noticed swelling and having tingling sensation. How to get relief?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 2543 Questions
My niece headbutted my bottom right lip and it got swollen and its been like that for 2 weeks now. But now it feels tingly and its kinda white. i dont know how to heal it or if its infected or anything..
Posted Fri, 22 Mar 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 24 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. I am assuming that that there was no bleeding, laceration, even on the inside of the lower lip and only blunt trauma.

2. Application of ice or an ice pack is ideal in the first few hours. Was this done? What is the status of your tetanus immunization?

3. Swelling even after two weeks means that there is a persisting inflammation. This may be due to reasons such as:
a. Difficulty in immobilizing the injured area.
b. Underlying fractures or dental injury. This may require X-rays.
c. A foreign body such as a chipped tooth or dental plaque embedded inside the lip.
d. Action of Saliva delaying the healing. This will also cause the inside lip to look white instead of pink.
e. Active infection.

4. The tingly feel may be due to edema and inflammation. If the injured lip is looking white or pale on the outside, there may be a compromise of the blood supply.

5. It is time to seek the prescription of a doctor for a course of antibiotics, anti-inflammatory medication such as painkillers and chymotrypsin, anti allergic and local heat fomentation. Local gels and a medicated oral rinse may help.

6. You may upload images of the outer side and the inner side of the lower lip for an accurate assessment.

Hope this answers your query. Should you have any additional concerns, I will be glad to assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor