Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
186 Doctors are Online

Got hit on leg. Noticed swelling and redness. Should I be concerned?

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions
Hello, I banged my leg in the middle on the bone of my leg bone against the iron gate fence, and it was swollen like a ball, swelling went down and now its looking red below the area that I banged. What does that mean? Thanks not alot of brusing yet. Its not as sore as it was. Thanks
Posted Sat, 10 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 58 minutes later
Thanks for writing to us.

In your case, it might be soft tissue injury or fracture. Since these are difficult to differentiate from each other without a X-ray, I would suggest that you see your physician for a detailed examination. You may get the X-ray of the area affected under his/her guidance.

In the interim, ice the affected area and take anti-inflammatory drug like Tablet Motrin 1 tablet as and when required with food (upto 4 tablets daily) . Avoid putting weight on the affected leg and rest well.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Wishing you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor