Got hit on head. Having headache and no swelling appeared. Is this normal?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 29 Dec 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Question: Was at the gym yesterday. Slipped and hit head on a barbell. Did not pass out, no swelling, and did not feel dazed. Today I have a headache near my temples. Is this normal? 33 yo female, 145lbs, no hx of migraines
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Yes, this is very common after a head trauma. There is no treatment for that other than resting and pain killers. If you did not passed out, the trauma was not very serious so the brain should not get harmed.
However you should be aware of symptoms like nausea, vomiting, dizziness, blurred vision. If such symptoms will appear, you should visit the ER for diagnostics.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.