Got hit on face, now have black eye. Prescribed steroid drop. Noticed blood in phlegm. Normal?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 16 Apr 2013 in General Health
Question: Hello,

I was recently punched in the face/eye and have a black eye, as to be expected. I went to the Dr. today and he dilated my eyes and and did a complete eye exam and said I had bruised my eye and he prescribed some steroid drops. He examined my face and said I didn't appear to have any fractures of my eye socket and was my is not sunken in.

I have blood in my sinuses and when I woke up this morning I spit up phlem/blood. Is this normal?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

As the face bones are very stable and the trauma needs to be quite strong for some deformation, usually it is impossible to tell if there are any fractures or not.
So your doctor could not tell you if you have any fractures or not.
Blood in the sinuses is a very normal thing when the walls of sinuses has been fractured.
Without the fracture, there is no way for the blood to appear in the sinuses (it is possible if there were any nose bleeding, but this could also be a sign of nose fracture).

That is why I suggest you to have head CT performed which is the only way to reveal possible fractures. Moreover, you never know if the brain has not been injured (when you hit someone in the face, and this punch is strong enough, the brain can bounce from the back side of the scapula).

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.