Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

Got hit on face. Scan showed no fracture. Having swollen and painful cheek. Should I be worried?

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions
I was hit hard in the face about 10 days ago, the ER took a CT-Scan and found no broken bones. however, my cheek is still extremely swollen and painful. Should I be seen by another dr.? How long should it take the swelling to dissipate?
Posted Tue, 27 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.

You might have soft tissue injury over your cheek as on CT-scan there is no any fracture.

Soft tissue injury should resolve with time, but even 3 weeks may not be long enough.

Continue using ice, gentle massage, and protected activity.

If this swelling associated with fever and it become more tender to touch, consult your doctor immediately to rule out any infection.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor