Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Got hit on elbow and movable lump appeared. Allergic to codene. Suggest effective medication

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10437 Questions
Awhile back I hit my elbow against the wall really hard. Since then i have had this lump on the tip of it that feels lke the bone chipped off. I can still move my arm fine and extend it also. There is no pain when i move it but sometimes if i put pressure on it, it hurts.Also the lump is moveable. It's almost like a knee cap, it can move back and forth. Compared to my other elbow it feels like the tip is bigger, and less rounded. Also seems like there is extra "junk" surrounding the movable "tip". I am 25 years old, 195 lbs, 6'3". Alergic to codene and no medical conditions other than a heart murmur.
Posted Wed, 6 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 34 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
From your description it seems that you have fractured your olecranon process.
For diagnosis it is important to get an x-ray and a MRI scan of the area done. X-rays are very sensitive for picking up any fracture and MRI is one of the best tests for ruling out and identifying soft tissue injuries in the area of fall.
I recommend you to consult an Orthopedician for proper examination and required investigations.
Meanwhile -
1. Do a cold compress on the area of injury.
2. Avoid movement around the elbow. Use an arm sling.
3. Get some mild pain killers prescribed from your doctor.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor