Got hit on chin. Having pain, bruise and bump appeared. How long will it take to get cured?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: About a month ago I fell and hit my chin and it was bruised and had one thick little strange scab for only about 2 days in which it didn't bubble at all when I put hydrogen peroxide on it . Didn't seem to hurt or swell much, Then I noticed the pain was near the bone and from the injury down to my feet was numb and still is ! the area of numbness has gotten smaller, Now I have a bump near the bone about 1 1/2 inches or so and , raised and my skin is white where the bump is. Concerned if it will heal , and how long will the numbness last and why is it numb? I don't have any discomfort walking or moving.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 16 minutes later
It seems that you have hurt your XXXXXXX The small white area that you can see is likely to be due to the skin color changes due to hematoma formation in the area. The numbness is due to the localised swelling and will recover spontaneously.
You need to watch out for the signs of infection like pain, raised temperature and an increase in the swelling. Systemic antibiotics and local drainage might be needed in case of infection. The color changes and the minor numbness will recover on their own. Please do not worry.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.