Got hit on cheek. Bruise appeared on cheek with bruise on eye. Could it be trauma?

Dr. Kaushik K Murthy

Pediatrician

Posted on Thu, 27 Dec 2012 in General Health
Question: My little girl got a bang on her cheek from a broken child gate 5 weeks ago,and had a black eye for four weeks following. She still has a significant bruise on her cheek
The hospital said it was a trauma
Shoukd we be worried?
Answered by Dr. Kaushik K Murthy 44 minutes later
Good evening,

You need not be worried if the child is able to articulate her jaw well, which can be evident if the child is feeding well on solid foods and is able to drink well from a sipper.

Watch for tenderness over the area, watch for increased temperature in the injured area and finally watch for color change from bluish to black. If the answer is yes for any of these, then you will have to review with your doctor.

Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan