Got hit on calf muscle. Soft, squishy lump appeared, having severe pain but no external bruise

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Tue, 16 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi Doc

I am a 53year old male. 2 weeks ago I got kicked on my calf muscle at the front of my leg just beside my XXXXXXX playing soccer. There was immediate sharp pain, which went away. There was, and has been no external bruising visible. The next week I got a knock in the same area and it was really painful. Normally a kick like that wouldn't even register. But again no external bruising. The lump is soft and squishy and I can feel what seems to be a vein running along it. It is about 2 long and less than an inch wide. It has moved further down my leg but not grown in size. Where before it was close to the top of my calf now it is close to the bottom of my calf. It is not sore to touch
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 20 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

From description it seems you might got soft tissue injury over your calf during kicked over it. This soft lump most probably due to haematoma formation(collection of blood) due to rupture of microvasculature.
Do not worry it will dissolve in few days.
I would suggest-
Give rest to your calf muscles.
Do hot fomatation over lump. It will help to dissolve the lump and speed up the healing process.
Apply local anti-inflammatory gel 2-3 times a day.
Take anti-inflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen to reduce pain and local swelling or inflammation.
Do not try to do exercise that involve painful muscles. Give proper time for the injury to heal.

Hope this will help you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you good health...

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon
Follow up: Dr. Saurabh Gupta 17 minutes later
Hi Dr. XXXXXXX

My concern is that it maybe deep vein thrombosis. While there was no puncture wound the angle of the original kick was downward which is an unusual angle.

It has been 2 weeks now and it has not dissolved and gone away. It has also moved about 1 to 2 inches. It is not painful and when I exercise it is not painful. I played soccer yesterday and made sure I had heavy duty and bigger XXXXXXX guards and had no pain. It is only if I get a kick or knock on the calf lump that it is painful.

You are the specialist, and the internet can be wonderful as it allows me to ask questions of highly qualified doctors at a reasonable cost. But it can also be bad as when I try WebMD, Cleveland Clinic, one of the possible diagnosis is DVT which is scary.

So I just want to confirm that I have given you sufficient information and the fact that the lump has moved and hasn't gone away in 2 weeks just means it is a collection of blood. When should I expect it to go away or start shrinking after I start following your advice?

Thank you once again
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 23 hours later
Thanks for posting your query again.

DVT seems as rare possibility in your case. It seems like haematoma which might get organised and fibrosed, so that it take more time to dissolve. I would also like to tell you that haematoma formation occurs without a puncture wound.
So I advice you to continue rest and hot fomatation. It may take one or two more weeks to dissolve.

Hope this helps you.

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta
Orthopaedic surgeon