Got head injury. No injury found. Painful to touch. What could be going on?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 31 Dec 2012 in Head Injuries
Question: My 28 year old son hit the back center of his head on the concrete floor about 4 years ago. At the time of the of the injury there was no blood or loss of con.He does not have any side affects at all. He said that it has always been tender to the touch from time to time from when it happen When he lays on it or washer his hair or touches it is tender. This does not happen all the time. Sometimes it does not hurt at all.
thanks
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
The head injury happened four years ago is not likely to cause the pain now. It is likely to be related to a soft tissue swelling of the scalp at the site. A direct examination of the area is necessary to comment on the cause of the occasional pain.
Most of the times such pain is due to a sebaceous cyst or lipoma. It is likely to be a benign cause. Please do not worry. But feel free to consult your physician for a direct examination.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
could you please explain sebaceous cyst or lipoma? the center back of the head seem to feel like a bruse.he explians it is soft and seams to more alittle upand down
thank you XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
A lipoma is a benign collection of fat cells. Sebaceous cyst happens due to a blocked sebaceous gland and is filled with a soft, whitish brown material that sometimes oozes out onto the skin's surface. This material is called sebum. If the protruding is accompanied by pain as well then there is a possibility of infection.
The color changes like a bruise are unlikely. A direct examination is an integral part of diagnosis.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.

hi
this is not a ball like or pee size . it seams to be more of a liquid as if the blood did not come thruogh at the time of the hit.he said that the tenderness was aways there from the start of the hit. there has been no change in the size of or location.this has not changed his life stylejust the feel when he rolls on to it somtimes or hits in a certant way. does that sound like the same thing to you?thank for your help .
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 26 minutes later
The liquid feeling inside could be due to reactionary fluid collection or blood. It is not worrisome as long as there is no infection.
In case the swelling increases or there is severe pain then consulting a physician would be helpful.
Regards.