Got head injury. Had concussion. Diagnosed with chronic migraines. What this could be?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 8 Jan 2013 in Head Injuries
Question: I had a slip & fall incident in May (7 months ago), where I suffered a concussion from hitting the back of my head on a concrete floor. Had a concussion and hurt my lower back & neck. I've been fine since, except for not being able to perform take part in normal daily exercise, just physical therapy. Recently, and for the past 2 months, I've been experiencing strange symptoms. It started while driving to work one night. At first I thought I was just tired, but it continues. While driving, I get a feeling of vertigo and this anxiety comes over me where I feel like cars are going to hit me or like I am going to drive off a cliff. Doesn't matter if it's night or day. Saw my eye doctor for an exam, and my eyes are fine. No glasses needed. Both my PCP & Eye Doc think I was having post-concussion symptoms. Besides driving, I get a weird numbness & tingling in my arms and feet. I'll get a sense of confusion, forgetting everyday customer's names or even my co-workers. I'll get really hot, maybe even sweat. Feel like I'm going to passout or vomit. I've had a headache for 8 days in a row now. I've been a migraine sufferer since 2007. My neurologist diagnosed me back in March with Chronic Migraines. Saw him 4 wks ago and told him all of these symptoms. He just said the same thing again, prescribed me Neurontin, which I am refusing to take. I don't want to take medication like that. Since the visit, I've been dealing with the same symptoms. I've had an EEG & an MRI last wk and am awaiting the results. I have no idea what this could be and it's really effecting me, my work performance and even operating a vehicle. I could endanger myself or someone else and I'm really freaked out. Please help!
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

There are two likely possibilities, leading to your current symptoms:

1. Migraine with vertigo: also called as migrainous vertigo. In this condition, headache is accompanied with vertigo or dizziness. Many patients with migraine may have dizziness too. Treatment is with preventive medications such as Topiramate or divalproex or beta blockers. To relieve the symptoms, rizatriptan may be given to reduce headache and betahistine to reduce giddiness.

2. Post-concussion symptoms: In this condition, dizziness is the main symptom, associated with confusion, headache, etc. Treatment is mainly symptomatic to relieve the symptoms.

I do not think any other possibility is there. However, please inform the MRI brain reports once you receive them.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist