Got head injury. Feeling nausea, headache and sore throat. Any complication?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Fri, 14 Dec 2012 in Sleep Disorders
Question: Hi my son hit his head a couple of days a go,
He has nausia and a headache on And off,
This morning he threw up once,
It is sore at the site, but no lump.
He had said he felt sick befor this happened and had a sore throat, which is still sore.
My toddla has a stomach bug so it could be just that but I'm a bit concerned.
He can walk and talk, and play but then feels a bit sick again,
He is not seeing lights or have ringing in his ears or any thing else.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I wish to reassure you that your son does not seem to have any serious effect due to head injury.

His symptoms are minor and most likely a combined effect of minor head injury and stomach bug.

I expect complete recovery within a few days.

As of now, there is no need to worry.

Please watch for the following symptoms- severe headache, repeated vomiting, drowsiness, etc. If they occur, you should go to a doctor and get a CT scan of brain done.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 39 hours later
I tryed to keep him quiet for the day but that was very hard as he felt fine with no headache of feeling sick and wanted to play so he was much more active than I would have liked him to be.
He had a bit of runny nose and sneezing started today, In the evening he said he had a little headache again, so gave Pamol and he went to sleep.
This morning he says he doesn't have a headache or sick tummy.
Is this all sounding ok?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 10 hours later

Thank you for getting back with more details.

All the symptoms you described are probably because of mild viral fever and common cold. They are not related to the head injury.

So, there is no need to worry.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)